Saturday, May 28, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend


Here I am, at one of my favorite markets in Colorado. 
 If I was nervous to start the blog writing about an anticlimactic marathon, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum regarding this entry.  Watermelon.  It's fitting for me to start Memorial Day Weekend (in Minnesota, summer's unofficial start) with a note on watermelon.  I imagine suspect that I consume my body weight in watermelon in a typical summer - and probably even more since I started making annual summer trips with Josh to his hometown in Colorado, a huge melon producer because of its hot, dry climate.  

I'm no culinary expert.  My watermelon consumption usually involves either using it in smoothies or just devouring it after a hot run.  My most exotic use of watermelon was last summer, when I tried making watermelon, lime, and cilantro popsicles. (Hint: in slush form, this is one of life's true delights, assuming you are a lover of cilantro.) 

Yesterday, I went to Cub Foods with a five-item shopping list that did not include watermelon. Unsurprisingly, as soon as I saw a big pile of melons next to a big shiny sale sign, I found myself slinging one into my cart, completely forgetting that I had parked way, way on the other side of the parking lot.

Anyway, the long haul was totally worth it. I'm heading out soon for my first post-marathon run.  Can you think of anything better to find in the fridge upon return? I can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment