Thursday, June 16, 2011

Taking pictures of food

Here is a typical exchange when I show my significant other a camera full of food photos:

Me: "Look at these beautiful foods!  Aren't they so beautiful?"
Him, politely: "Oh, nice food."

Needless to say, he does not share my curiosity about food photography. There is monster backlash in foodie circles about bloggers snapping photos at a restaurant table with their camera phone, and I get that.  (Also, I am also probably too shy to actually do that in real life.) But get me next to a pile of fruits or vegetables, or my own cooking projects, and I go a little crazy.  I think there's something so tremendously beautiful about the different colors of vegetables and fruits all mixed together, and the fact that gardens here seem to spend six months under a pile of snow might have something to do with my enthusiasm. 

I promise, promise to spare you from copious amounts of photos from summer farmer's market hauls.  But today I picked up our weekly CSA box (which comes to St. Paul from a farm two hours south of here) and couldn't resist.  There were some of my late-spring favorites: sugar peas and green beans and good salad mix. That wasn't what got me running for my little camera, though.

I'll share just one teeny picture, of the teeniest, sweetest little strawberries I could ever hope to see:

Oh, look! I stumbled across these berries in this grass!
Wash and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment