Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Seen on my run

Tonight's run: five miles in lots of sun and more pleasant temperatures. I ran a loop that I almost always run in the morning, and for some reason it felt like a completely different route.  Most importantly, the best sights:

1) I passed a mom and her two young daughters, who were walking to a baseball t-ball game at the park in my neighborhood. One sister was wearing a fab sundress and her mom was holding her team t-shirt, which leads me to believe she was refusing to put it on until absolutely necessary. The other little girl was carrying a big baseball glove. She was decked out in the tiniest Orioles baseball hat and a t-shirt with the classic hem that hits at mid-calf.  Great contrast between the two sisters.

2) A few blocks away from home, I ran by a woman walking her black lab on a road with a big-grassy-area-between-the-sidewalk-and-the-road (I know there must be a real word for that landscape feature, so I'll use that description as a stand-in).  The dog wasn't quite a puppy, but he still had that pudgy-puppy body that labs have before they grow into their adult build.  The pup was in the grassy area and was taking heavy, labored steps, like he was at the end of his walk and the weight of the world was on his shoulders. Then, all of a sudden, he belly-flopped down to the ground. His owner laughed, walked over to him, sat down in the grass and gave him a big dog-hug, with rush-hour traffic on the boulevard passing by. 

Summer in St. Paul, right?

2 comments:

  1. Funnily enough, I believe that part between the sidewalk and road is called a boulevard as well! At least, that's what our landscaper told us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! Thank you, Kate. I had a feeling you might know...which means that you are now my go-to expert on landscape questions!

    ReplyDelete