Saturday, July 5, 2014

My friend's garden

Lots of garden talk this week around Miles and Laurel!

A couple of years ago, I went over to Sara's house on a summer weeknight and we walked around her garden talking about her various projects. I was in awe (and left with a huge bag of surplus basil!) partly because my own largest gardening effort at that point was a half-successful basil seedling.

Today I walked through Sara's garden and was in awe again, on a whole different level (and with many more questions to ask). As it goes many subjects and hobbies, once I started to learn a little bit about gardening, I gained a better understanding about how much more there is to learn: which plants need sun and which need shade, what plants pair well together, how some plants need coaxing and care and others spring up where you didn't even intend. Sara has invested so much effort in her garden and gained a lot of knowledge along the way. The result is a backyard, boulevard and front yard full of beautiful and interesting gardens, all with unique and intentional purposes and missions.

Poppies in the boulevard garden:

In the backyard: a flower from the alley (another garden space) popping over to see what's happening on the other side of the fence.



In the front yard: one of several spaces Sara designed to draw butterflies and bees. I could've watched this monarch butterfly for ages:

It's such fun to talk with people about what they love doing - and Sara loves that garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment