Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Changes and swagger

Ooh, I had an unexpected turn of events yesterday.  After reviewing my running log and learning I was either nearly or desperately, horrifically in need of new shoes, I high-tailed it to Run N Fun, my local running shop.  I've worn Mizuno Wave Riders in size 8 for years and years - when one pair gets tired, I dash in and out of Run N Fun without even trying on the next model.  But all summer, I felt like I was constantly shoving super-large feet into too-small shoes, and as you can imagine, that feels unpleasant and uncomfortable.

Prepare yourself for an earth-shattering Change #1: I tried on an 8.5 instead of an 8 and bought them.  Apparently, my feet are expanding, but man, these shoes are comfortable.

Now get ready for Change #2.

Seriously, what would you rather have?  Dirty, smelly, sad shoes?


or snazzy-to-the-max, flashy, not-smelly, full-of-pep GREEN speed racers?


Yes, these are the new Wave Riders!  I studied them momentarily and couldn't decide if they were the ugliest things I have ever seen or the coolest.  And then I decided on the latter.

I wore them to running club last night and loved them.  We did a tough workout combining marathon pace and hills (lots of hills) and when the going got tough, I sometimes looked down at my peppy new shoes and felt a little burst of energy.  Afterward, when I was walking across the parking lot to my car, it was undeniable.  A cool evening breeze was blowing, the sun was setting, and I had a little extra strut in my step.

I made Josh take my picture to capture my good mood and fab shoes when I got home.  I hope the strut in my step back in the parking lot didn't manifest itself quite like this, though. A little awkward.


Lesson learned: Happy shoes in the last big weeks of a marathon training cycle make a monster difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment