Friday, August 19, 2011

Midday pizza party

I appreciate many, many parts of my job, and one element of that is my commute.  My longest commute since I joined the workforce was to a suburb 16 miles from my front door, to a suburb on the opposite side of the metro area, which made for some memorable rush-hour and/or blizzard-related snarls.  For the last several years, my commute has been six minutes.  Believe me, I do not take this for granted.  Sometimes I show my appreciation by going home for lunch!

On Wednesday, I went home for lunch because the draw of leftovers was strong.  Does everyone but me already know about Pillsbury's refrigerated roll-out pizza crust?  (That sounded like a really feeble paid endorsement, but I swear it's not.)  I just discovered it earlier this week, when I wanted to make pizza but didn't have time to make my own dough.  

Pause: That implies that I make my own dough often, which I have to admit isn't true.  But it's on my list.

Buying pre-made dough made everything come together so quickly, though, and it provided a convenient vehicle for any toppings I desired.  I have a hunch that it will come in very handy for using up summer vegetables from this month's CSA boxes.  This does not bode well (or perhaps bodes too well) for my as-yet-untested hypothesis that I could eat pizza literally every day and never tire of it.

Dinner: Brush crust with pesto.  Add fresh mozzarella, basil from the patio, heirloom tomatoes from the CSA box.  The next day, I had leftover slices and then realized I had one more tomato to use, so I tore up some more basil from the patio and went along my merry way.  Looks like caprese-themed overload, right?

NO!!  That was a trick question, and I hope no one fell for it.  

In Miles and Laurel, there is no such thing as caprese overload.  Those two words will never be strung together again in this blog.  My January self would like this lunch very much--and my August 16-18 self did, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment