Thursday, November 1, 2012

A belated pumpkin

I missed Halloween, and now it's November!

No, really. I pretty much did miss Halloween. I got knocked down by some sort of terrible migraine-bug yesterday. I felt better later in the evening, but not in time to take our traditional stroll around the neighborhood to see the trick-or-treaters. Boo indeed!

Anyway, I didn't tell you that to get all whomp-whomp on you. Luckily, I'm feeling all the way better today. It just makes me even more glad I fixed up my pumpkin two nights ago, before I got sick! (And I think you all know that Wish had enough costumes to cover the neighborhood - not even taking into account the humans' superhero get-ups - so there's no need to worry about whether our household had adequate Halloween spirit.)

I am usually a major fan of carving pumpkins. Josh and I typically carve at least two each per season - but with everything going on in October this year, we just didn't get to it. But earlier in the week, I had read a blog post from Young House Love about the creative ideas the couple has cooked up so their young daughter can decorate a pumpkin sans knives. And to be honest, I kind of got hooked on the pumpkin they decorated with circles of tissue paper. I liked it so much I wanted to try tissue paper circles on my own pumpkin, even though I am wildly outside the intended age group for the project.

I used a regular old orange pumpkin, and I wanted to try blue and purple tissue paper. Even though I'm not a toddler, I had fun working on this pumpkin. When does anyone give you the assignment to sit down and glue tissue paper circles however you'd like on a pumpkin?


Even though I didn't carve, I am happy with this year's pumpkin. The next step is getting to the pumpkin seeds inside so I can try roasting them, but I want to enjoy the blue and purple pumpkin just a little longer.

Did you carve this year, Reader? How long do you keep a pumpkin out before you discard it? Do you have pepitas recipe advice to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment