Thursday, December 12, 2013

Leisurely run

All miles have a purpose. The purpose varies wildly from day to day, and although I can guess, I don't always know what it's going to be when I start running. It can be very specific to the workout (a long run to practice spending time on my feet or hill repeats to build leg strength) - or it can be broader: to explore a new place, to push me past what I thought I could do, to show me where I can improve, or to serve as an outlet through which I can sort through a challenge.

Today's purpose was decidedly less structured. Today the cold snap ended. It was 19 degrees when I went outside this afternoon and brilliantly sunny, and it was about the best thing ever. I was enjoying being outside (and running without a facemask) so much that I actually cut the run's distance short so I could take some leisurely walk breaks, just for the heck of it. I practiced my deep breaths and looked at shadows and storefronts and snow on the trees.


Those unstructured miles won't help me break any personal records, but they're just as important to me as the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment