Sunday, September 2, 2012

Summer's not over!

Just because the calendar has flipped to September and this weekend marks the end of meteorological summer and school starts for everyone tomorrow if it hasn't already, I don't think summer is over yet.

Why?

Because I realized today that I hadn't made guacamole once this summer! Argh!!

I set out this afternoon to remedy this miscue.

The first good sign was when I found a billion pretty avocados at the grocery store.

The second good sign was this precarious pile of avocado skins - meaning all of them were good and ripe and ready to use!


Also good: I usually make this recipe with frozen corn, but the grocery store also had fresh corn. And I usually make it with canned tomatoes, but this time I got to use two tomatoes filched from my brother's CSA! (Can I figure out a way to use the word filched in every post?)

The guacamole batch is chillin' in the fridge to let the flavors blend. I have a bluegrass Pandora station on thanks to a podcast from the weekend (recommending the band Carolina Chocolate Drops) and there are plenty of songs about long summer days. It might officially feel like September, but summer's most definitely not quite gone.

1 comment: