Tuesday, October 2, 2012

101 in 1,001 update: September recap

Hello, October! Here is my 101 in 1,001 update for last month. 

You know how this works. We start with an array of links!

The whole list
Last month's update

Track my progress (approximately) via google doc


Here's a little confession. I love that I wrote down 101 items, and just doing that has kept the spirit of the list in my head. I like the monthly updates, too. But I also don't refer back to each month's post until I'm ready to write the next one, so I'm perpetually getting surprised by an item I forgot I had put on my list. Oops!

How did last month go? Here were my goals:
 
#40 Take a Spanish class
"An opportunity has presented itself, and I just have to figure out if the timing is right," I wrote last month. It turned out that the timing was not quite right, because we decided to sign up for six weeks of dog training class and I didn't want to block out two evenings per week for classes, at least until after my marathon and the trips I have scheduled for the fall. Anyway, this will happen soon. I did pinpoint exactly which classes I'd like to take, so I'm hoping it will work for the winter session.

#60 Plan meals for a week and buy groceries once in that week
Yes! Yes! I did this. Josh and I talked through our meal plan for the week, went to the grocery store on Sunday and stocked up. (This might have been the height of my feverish soup-making craze, so it was basically a lot of soup staples.) I made it through the full week without going to the grocery store. I decided to set this goal for September because I had gotten into the habit of going to the grocery store all the time for one or two ingredients and then buying other food that I usually didn't need. This forced me to be more intentional. It saved money and time, too. The only real temptation was deciding on Monday that I really wanted candy corn and peanuts to mix together and then having to wait the whole week. (Yes, I did buy them the following week.)
 
#62 Send one card per week for three months
I've had to restart this one a bunch of times. I love to send cards, and for some reason, I've found it deceptively tricky to send one per week for 12 weeks in a row. But mark my words: as of late September, it has been launched once more.

#86 Make a huge batch of pesto in the summer and freeze it. 
Yes. I wrote about this project earlier in the month. Just enough time has passed that I already find the idea of a bowl full of basil from that day very beautiful and far away.

But that's kind of okay, because I have a bunch of pesto cubes in my freezer!

Surprise! With my miles on the Big Rivers Regional Trail, I also checked off #35 Run or bike on a new-to-me trail in the Twin Cities.

Where does that leave me?

23/101 goals complete
16/101 goals in progress

This month, in addition to continuing the ongoing projects, my goals are:

#9 Run a race in costume. The wheels are turning in my head and you'd better believe I'll keep you updated.
#26 Use my passport. I am going to a conference in Montreal!
#79 Complete a puzzle, jigsaw or crossword
#91 Make popovers
Begin #92 Read five classic books

That little list makes me even more excited about October. There are a lot of good classic books that I haven't read yet - I just read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn last year, for example - and some of you have passed along recommendations already (thank you!). Do you have an all-time favorite classic book that you want to tell me is a must-read? Are you a popover guru? And do you know anything about visiting Montreal?

Comment away, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment