Saturday, October 6, 2012

The final stretch

This afternoon, the road to the Twin Cities Marathon and 10 Mile finish line was quiet.

But in fewer than 24 hours, this stretch will be packed full of thousands of people, 100 yards away from crossing the finish line. To me, there is nothing like this sight - or the feeling it conjures up. No matter how a particular marathon has gone for me, the last tenth of a mile - when the finish line is in sight - is an exhilarating personal celebration. Sometimes I just can't stop smiling. Other times, I remember my mind slowing down, taking a minute to think about all the work I put in to get to that spot.

I love the finish line, and I'm lucky to be able to volunteer there each year, at the site where I finished my first marathon in 2007. I can't wait to see this road full of runners tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment