Monday, January 20, 2014

Week 3

"Life's most persistent and urgent question is: 'What are you doing for others?'" -Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

I've seen that quote a few times today, and it bears repeating here (and everywhere, and often).

Five tidbits about the start of the week:

1) My Facebook and Twitter feeds are spreading this news: the Minneapolis-St. Paul area was named America's fittest city, in large part because of the parks and outdoor recreation space I love so much.

2) Some special people have birthdays this week!

3) I ran seven miles this morning, and thanks to yesterday's thaw (35 degrees) and subsequent snowman snow, there was an abundance of snowmen along my route, which I did not expect but enjoyed very much.

4) I got to meet Sara's pup Ramona today, and she is a total sweetheart.

5) I'm paging through A Field Guide to American Houses, which I picked up last week at the library. I've only worked my way through the introductory sections but have already learned a lot about the context behind different neighborhoods in different eras and seen examples from the book in houses along my running routes.

--

Over the weekend, my dad's cousin passed away. In memory of her kind spirit and big laugh, I find myself more aware of appreciating the small pieces of each day and being grateful for the people who make our days brighter. What are you grateful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment