Monday, September 12, 2011

Marvelous Monday

Today I'll take a cue from a friend and note five marvelous things about today--or perhaps more accurately, lingering from the weekend:

1) My long run on Saturday (with only one more long-long-long run looming before tapering starts!): For the first time in my marathon training history, I was part of the Capitol Run tradition.  Three weeks before Twin Cities Marathon, when lots of local runners have 20 miles on their schedules, a bunch of the area running clubs meet on the Capitol steps, which also marks TCM's finish line.  Everybody runs 10 miles down the course and then turns around and runs the second half back up it to practice for race day.  

There were so many runners on Summit and the River Road--hundreds, even? I'm terribly at estimating crowds--and it made such a fun atmosphere.  Even though I cut the run a little bit short because I was only scheduled for 18 miles, it was good camaraderie to be heading back up Summit and knowing that all the runners around me were also in the long, long run zone and quietly rooting for each other.

2) I got to hang out with my crew of friends from high school on Saturday afternoon for a baby shower.  The mama-to-be is due in early October, and I got to meet another new addition to our group for the first time: another friend's new baby.  It was great to catch up with these women and hang out with the sweet, sweet baby, even though she did stuff a pen in her mouth within the first three minutes of me holding her. Oops. (No harm done, I promise.)

3) I celebrated a Rocky Top victory over the weekend!  Josh and I DVR'd the game, and he was fabulous and patient about providing commentary and assistance.  Honestly, it felt like we were watching film for the first half--we were rewinding and rewatching the plays that much.  I have a lot to learn, but I also learned a lot

Watching football is a ton more fun when:
A) you have read articles and done research on the team, players, and coach
B) the team comes through with a monstrous 45-23 win

I really, sincerely enjoyed the game. Since it was the first Tennessee game I have watched on TV, I got to see Neyland Stadium and the sea of 100,000 fans all dressed in orange and white.  I also saw that some of the women in the stands wore orange and white sundresses, which I may need to investigate when my visit comes closer.  I also saw some of the traditions, like the Vol Walk (when the players and coaches walk past fans into the stadium) and the T formation (when the players run past the marching band members onto the field). 

Plus, how can you not love a head coach who wears these pants?

Credit
Maybe Josh and I spent some time after the game learning the words to "Rocky Top." Maybe we've had the song in our heads since Saturday night.  Just don't be surprised if you see me marching down the streets of St. Paul this week belting out:

Wish that I was on ole rocky top,
Down in the Tennessee hills.
Ain't no smoggy smoke on rocky top,
Ain't no telephone bills.

4) The next day, my family all met up for the first soon-to-be-monthly progressive dinner.  My parents drove to St. Paul and we started at my brother's apartment, where he had prepared salsa.  

This photo is my favorite because it shows the family tendency to get distracted by animals. Just as my mom was about to snap the photo, someone (I have my eye on my sister's boyfriend, next to her in the photo) said, "April, look at that squirrel on the neighbor's roof!" and my sister's eyes darted over:


Then we progressed to my home and enjoyed chilaquile casserole. This photo is the chilaquile, mid-assembly and pre-oven, so I will add the caveat that it looks weirder than it tastes:


Afterward, we headed to my sister's new apartment.  She baked a magnificent, beautiful apple pie.  Heaven.

5) Last but definitely not least, Josh and I hit up Myth Nightclub for the 16+ Jersey Shore Bash on Saturday night. He dressed as Ron and I dressed as Sammi for the $100 Give Away For Best Look A Like.  We also were among the first 50 partygoers and received free Red Bull as a result.


No, I'm totally kidding on #5.  I just really wanted to post the picture of the flyer I came across.  I had you going, right?

2 comments:

  1. You certainly had ME going on #5...wish we could have gone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i honestly believed #5, I don't know what that means about what I think about you and Josh. I wish you had!! -sj

    ReplyDelete