Friday, October 7, 2011

The countdown is on

Readers!  I'm on my way to Chicago now!  Today my goals include:

1) Finding our hotel
2) Getting to the expo
3) Successfully navigating the expo and leaving with some-but-not-too-many Chicago Marathon trinkets
4) Dream goal: Dinner at Rick Bayless's restaurant Frontera Grill.  We are sans reservation, but it sounds like the seating is split between reservations and walk-ins.  I will probably cross my fingers for 12 hours before my desired dinner time.

Guess what else?  Pauly D of Jersey Shore fame is performing on Friday night blocks from our hotel.  Josh and I are 30 percent seriously considering going.

On Saturday, we will do whatever we fancy.  The weather is supposed to be gorgeous all weekend, with the highs around 80 degrees.  We may hang out at Lake Michigan.  We may go to a museum.  We may nap.  We may eat pasta.  We definitely have a date to watch playoff baseball and Tennessee versus Georgia at night.  I will check my alarm clock 600 times twice and try to get a good night's sleep.

On Sunday...that's right, the marathon is Sunday!  I had two great chats today - one with my mom and one with my friend Nora - and I am back to feeling excited rather than the nervous-with-a-pinch-of-excited I felt earlier this week.  Guys, I've wanted to run this race for years.  On Sunday, I will run 26.2 miles with 45,000 other people.  We arrive at the start line from many different places and for many different reasons, but when you're out there at mile 20 or 22 or 24, you don't notice the differences.  You're all the same, in a way, and you're all out there, getting 'er done.

Here is a great video of the start line last year that gives a tiny idea of the mayhem:


Woo hoo!  Let's do this thing!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck my dear! You are going to be so amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ♥♥♥ I'm wishing so badly/much that I could be there to cheer you on ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete