Saturday, October 29, 2011

Halloween Part I: Friday night

A party with friends at Gluek's, a bar in downtown Minneapolis, kicked off Halloween weekend festivities last night.  I ended up trading my two tutus from earlier in the week in for one black tutu, but was still undecided about how that tutu would fit into my Halloween plans.  At the very least, I could consider being a ballerina.  Then, yesterday afternoon, it all became clear. Black Swan!

It felt a little dated at first, but I quickly realized that this costume was a winner because it allowed me to wear 1) the tutu 2) fun makeup and 3) a tiara.  I went shopping after work and procured a Little Mermaid Ariel tiara for $6.99 and the cheapest can of black spray paint known to humankind for 96 cents.  I spraypainted the heck out of poor Ariel's tiara on our patio and then waited for it to dry. 

Then came the makeup.  I had also purchased a tube of white face paint and a big stick full of black eyeliner.  I started with the eyeliner and the process went on...and on...and on.  I've never used so much eyeliner in my life and never expect to match that quantity again.  But it was fun!  The white face paint was actually trickier than the eyeliner.  (Again, I'm not sure what I was expecting for 99 cents.)  I put my hair into a ballerina up-do, wedged my tiara in, and sprayed copious amounts of hairspray.  Tutu, black tank top, black leggings, and ballet flats completed the costume. 

I look like a major goofball when I pose for non-smiling photos, but trust me, a Black Swan impersonator with a big grin is way creepier:


Josh decided at about 2:30 p.m. yesterday to take on Brian Wilson, the quirky and loveable San Francisco Giants closer.  He trucked over to the Mall of America and came home with a Giants hat and an LSU t-shirt, where Brian Wilson attended college - and of course, the mandatory beard.  The beard was a little too large at first, and Josh trimmed it down.  We walked through the main bar at Gluek's before getting to our party's space in the back room, and the bar erupted when he walked through.  Who doesn't love Brian Wilson?


Okay, I gotta dash.  It's time for Costume #2. My brother and I are leaving for the Anoka Halloween Gray Ghost 5K in 45 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment