Thursday, October 6, 2011

Something very strange and new

Totally kidding!  More leaves!

One of the fun things about a great significant other is that he or she often knows you better than yourself sometimes.  Josh and I were motoring down Summit Avenue yesterday and he said, "I can't believe you haven't taken leaf photos of this road yet." 

Me neither!!

But I put the thought out of my mind, as one tends to do when one is skedaddling to the office, until late afternoon.  I pushed through the office door and was met with a blast of heat.  Folks, it was 87 degrees outside.  Later yesterday afternoon, it climbed one more degree, which set a new record for Oct. 5 in Minnesota history. 

I wonder if you'll be able to see how warm it was in the photos.  You know how you can look at a photo sometimes and just tell whether it's warm or cold?  I think in these photos, it's hard to see it because the light is so fall but the temperatures were so summer.  Anyway, all you need to know is that I felt a downright gravitational pull toward Summit, the fabled stretch of Victorian homes and my little dirt running path on the grassy median.

This is the start of my route.  The sky was so blue and the sunlight was erratic and completely dependent on the tree positions.  Here, the sun is presumably blocked by a big old cluster of trees.


But a block later, look at the sun!  Turns out that besides being enthralled by the colors of leaves, I am also fascinated by shadows that big trees make.  And beautiful shadows, they were a-plenty on my little stroll.  Check it out:


Then I'd be walking along and would look up and see something like THIS!


And just to prove that I don't only love red, orange and yellow trees, I wanted to show that green leaves catch my eye, too.  The sunshine on the tree below made it look like it was glowing.


I acknowledge that three of the last six posts have involved leaves in some form. I promise an inevitable respite next week, because I assume some Windy City recapping will need to be done.  But the bottom line is that leaves are rocking the Miles and Laurel neighborhood right now, and at risk of being a major Debbie Downer, they're going to be gone real soon.

Enjoy them while they're here!

No comments:

Post a Comment