Thursday, June 7, 2012

Local commerce

Have I gotten all riled up here about neighborhood lemonade stands before?

On second thought, "riled up" comes with kind of a negative connotation.  Let's be clear: I love lemonade stands!

And because I spend a lot of time puttering around the residential parts of the city, I think I encounter more than my fair share of kids' lemonade stands. (Once Josh said, "I've never seen a lemonade stand in St. Paul!  How can you see so many?")  But circumstances have never lined up exactly right for me to support a neighborhood lemonade stand.

This summer, it is a Grade-A-top-notch-major-life-goal of mine to carry cash (or at least a few quarters) on a long run and then stumble on a lemonade stand, preferably around Mile 17 or 18, when there would be few better sights to see.

Anyway, earlier this week I saw a marketing campaign that might be my all-time favorite:


I might say that the beverage charge strikes me as a little high, but pink or yellow? This is the coolest lemonade stand I've ever heard of.  And truth be told, that simple sidewalk scrawl ignited an immediate craving for both pink and yellow (but especially pink) lemonade, so it was clearly successful. I felt compelled to look toward the advertised address even though it was 6:15 in the morning, which as it turns out is not so much a peak time for lemonade-related commerce.

Rest assured: I will be keeping my eye out for this stand on an upcoming Saturday long run. Do you have lemonade stands in your neighborhood?  Have you ever supported one? Do you think my dream of finding one during a summer long run is too lofty?

No comments:

Post a Comment