Saturday, June 30, 2012

Raspberries

Oh! I had a post topic all lined up for today, and then my friend Sara went ahead and dangled raspberries in front of my nose.

I went over to her house to check out her garden before we went out to lunch. She has a big fenced-in backyard and oodles of gardening energy and ideas to go with it. I love to see it evolve - see last week's post about appreciating gardens so much more now that I'm trying to keep two window boxes going - and I can't wait to see the space in one year and two years and five years.  (If this is all sounding a little bit familiar to you, you 1) have a really good memory and 2) are probably thinking of last year's visit.)

Today I stepped into the backyard, and my eyes went directly to two huge bushes next to the garage.

Like this:


What are they?  They're raspberries, a gift from Sara's neighbor, and they are going hog wild back there.  (That's two uses of "hog wild" in a week here, I think. I'm going to keep that going.)

Closer, now. They're like little lights, no?


And very close!


It made me remember right away my grandparents' raspberry bush in their backyard, where it was always worth battling vicious insects to get in and pick a handful or basket of berries.

Consider a raspberry plant added to the list of features in my future home and its garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment