Saturday, November 12, 2011

Sixty on Saturday!

Forgive me for being redundant and blathering on and on about another gorgeous Saturday in St. Paul!

As soon as I walked into the kitchen this morning, I knew the day was going to be as beautiful as the meteorologists had predicted.  Sun was streaming in through the windows, and there was just this feeling that the sunlight was warm: think September sunlight, not January.

Later in the day, we walked and walked.  Everybody else in St. Paul seemed to have the same idea we did.  The day got warmer, and I took off my gloves.  The day got warmer, and I pushed up my sweatshirt sleeves.  People, this is Nov. 12!

Um, forget that I'm wearing the same outfit as last Saturday. Consistency.
Everyone was loving this weather, with the probable exception of our local Nordic skiers.  (I've been there and feel your pain as you wait for snow, guys.)  I saw two guys in a BMW convertible cruising around Summit Avenue, top down, wearing short-sleeved t-shirts.  The temperature climbed to 63 by the late afternoon, but at that time, it was probably 48 degrees.  "That's classic Minnesota!" I told Josh.

On Grand Avenue, just before we stopped for sandwiches at Bread and Chocolate, I noticed people lugging around boxes of holiday decorations.  They were decorating the streetposts!  Look.  I took a picture of this unsuspecting man, who will probably never know that he found fame at Miles and Laurel:


And the final product!


The Salvation Army bell-ringers were out, too.  I finally got a sense of what it feels like to live in a warmer climate over the holidays with no snow in sight.  It was really strange.

Just after that, we walked by Brasa, a cool restaurant in what I guess would be the closest thing to St. Paul's "bar district." (By that I mean Billy's and the Wild Onion.)  It's a bold move to advertise pork belly over the weekend on that sidewalk sign, given the high traffic that converges on the establishments on that block and the edit that can be made with one swipe of a finger.


Dork bellies.  So sad.  The perpetrator (and no, it was not us) did the same thing on the other side of the sign.

Can you believe that this wasn't even today's best sign sighting?  That's right.  I finally got a photo of a sign I've been wanting to share with you for weeks, Reader.  I wanted to be cool and save it for the day before I had a grand and wonderful post planned, but, well, I love it too much. 

This banner was hung in two parts - the top half with the first sentence went up quite a bit before the second teaser was dropped.


How can one not be curious about what's coming?  The suspense is killing me!

Mull over that on this fine Saturday.  (And go Vols!)

No comments:

Post a Comment