Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Day

Merry Christmas if you are celebrating today, Reader!

Don't you think it's fun to hear how different families spend their holidays? (I do, anyway!) In Josh's family, the tradition is to get together for a big breakfast on Christmas Day - his mom and her three siblings take turns hosting - and then go in different directions (usually in smaller family units) for the rest of the day. I love this tradition. I also love the breakfast, which is definitely Christmas Day's main meal.

This year, as everyone was arriving, it was snowing, which made for an extra-nice Christmas Day atmosphere. (I don't think a white Christmas is a guarantee in southern Colorado, even though last year - my first Christmas with Josh's family - brought a mega-blizzard, so now it's 2-for-2 in terms of my experiences with snowy Colorado Christmases.)


(Someday I will become proficient at taking a photo that successfully captures how beautiful a lightly falling snow is, or I will finally give up and just accept that that moment is better spent just watching said lightly falling snow.)

After breakfast, Josh and I went to his brother and sister-in-law's house to open stockings and more presents with Loco and Lala. We also relaxed and napped and played with the new toys and decorated gingerbread houses with the kids. (More successful than last year, but only marginally so!) Then we visited aunts, uncles and cousins to say goodbye, because we leave town tomorrow. It was a great trip.

Tomorrow brings a long travel day, but by the time we get back to my parents' house in the evening, my family will be waiting to begin our annual evening of Slovenian bread-baking! We will spend a few days there before heading back to St. Paul, and I can't wait.

Hey! If you celebrate Christmas, how did you spend yesterday and today? Do you have any traditions that you love? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment