Tuesday, December 11, 2012

101 in 1,001: November update

It's practically the middle of December! Let's recap November's progress in the 101 in 1,001 project.

Your typical bounty full of links:
Last month's recap
The whole list
Track my progress (roughly) if you dare, via Google doc

Last month:
Between our trip to Tennessee and Thanksgiving travels, November flew by, and I didn't put much on my 101 in 1,001 plate. Just these two!

#32 See the Great Smoky Mountains
#28 Visit two new states

And I checked off both of them! We hiked and went sightseeing in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. We got to Tennessee by flying into Atlanta (because of bargain airfare from MSP) and driving about three hours through Georgia and into Tennessee. We also went to Chickamauga, a key Civil War battlefield that's run by the National Park Service now. New state: Georgia!

Coming up - well, already in progress - is December. This month is going to be a little quiet on the list front, too, because there are already lots of adventures and fun things going on. Luckily, the snow over the weekend reminded me of a couple of items on the list:

#11 Go snowshoeing
#13 Build a snowman

After last year's virtually snow-free winter, I'd like to cross one of those items off my list this month - ideally, an adventure to a local park to hit some snowshoeing trails!

Random list-related thoughts:

  1. I have also had a real hankering to start working on my cartwheel goal, but I think that has to wait until summer (and soft grass) - or maybe winter and its soft snow would be perfect after all! December would be a majorly banner month if I can manage to learn how to do a cartwheel. Is anyone an expert on teaching adults how to do a cartwheel? I wonder if I can get a tutorial on YouTube. Flinging my legs into the air hasn't worked well for me in the past.
  2. I am going to the dentist this month and will continue work on #23 Visit the dentist at least four times.
  3. Minneapolis, I believe, has switched completely to electronic/automated/credit-card-friendly/whatever parking meters that don't have individual stations showing how much time a car has left in its spot. Based on my recent trips to downtown St. Paul, I don't think the capital city is far behind, which potentially threatens goal #53 Put change in someone's expired parking meter. I need to act quickly, travel to cities without this newfangled technology or scout out the neighborhoods that still have coin-only meters. (I actually love the credit card option, by the way, because I'm horrible at carrying quarters.)

Here are the updated totals:
30/101 items complete
17/101 items in progress

I have nice ideas cropping up for my January goals. Perhaps I'll even read a classic book!

Please chime in with suggestions/feedback/tips in the comment section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment