Friday, March 29, 2013

Calligraphy practice

This morning, I was doodling around on my phone, and while perusing Buzzfeed lists, I found 27 Ways to Make Your Groceries Last as Long as Possible. Many items on the list were new to me and fascinating, especially with summer produce season (and our CSA membership) approaching.

I was particularly intrigued by #27, a guide on what to store in the fridge and what to store on the counter or in a pantry. It was lettered, and I thought to myself, that would be fun calligraphy practice. I got out my ink, pen and paper and got to work, making all of the words capitalized so I could practice majuscules.


It turned out to be great practice because it used so many different letters, sometimes repeating a few times so I could become more comfortable with a particular majuscule (like C, as in cabbage-cauliflower-celery-cherries-corn-cucumber). Just for the record, I almost skipped mushrooms because I am not a fan and don't imagine ever buying them, but Josh likes them, so I guess he can have fresher mushrooms.

My only regret is that I forgot to make "grapefruit" its own note. It deserves so much more than the blanket "citrus."

I can't wait until I'm faced with the decision on how to store so many fresh fruits and vegetables!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, your calligraphy skills are amazing! Are you going to put them to use on your wedding invites?

    ReplyDelete