Friday, August 10, 2012

101 in 1,001: July update

Whew! After a couple of months with slow progress on the 101 list, I got going again this month.

You know how this works. We start with an array of links!

The whole list
Last month's update
Track my progress (approximately) via google doc

Last month I vowed to tackle the following projects:

#3 Race an all-out mile
#8 Try stand-up paddleboarding
#20 Eat five servings of fruits and vegetables per day for 10 days
[Continue] #47 Volunteer at six races
#54 Increase charitable giving

I was four for five!  I didn't fulfill my volunteer goal for July, so I've got to save that one for another month.

Here's how it all went:

#3 Race an all-out mile
 I raced the Rice Street Mile with my brother, something totally new for me in my post-high school running adventures. (And let it be clear that I am very far past those days.)  I was two seconds short of my personal best at the distance - yay/argh! - so I'd like to find another mile race to run at least once per year. (Heck, maybe it'll be Rice Street every year.) It was wild and fun and a neat experience  to motor along as fast as your legs can carry you for 5,280 feet.

#8 Try stand-up paddleboarding
If you've checked in at M&L recently, you probably know I loved my stand-up paddleboarding experience. Thanks again to my friend Kate for showing me how it's done!

Remember?


#20 Eat five servings of fruits and vegetables per day for 10 days
If a girl can't eat five fruits and vegetables per day in late July, when will it happen?  It wasn't the biggest stretch to achieve this goal during this season, when there are oodles and oodles of wonderful and appealing fruits and vegetables to try.

I mean...seriously:


But it was still a stretch for me, even though I plan to make sure I'm still doing it later in the fall and winter when the fresh produce isn't quite as plentiful, now that I've finished the goal successfully. It was just instructive to intentionally keep track through the day. A big part of success was simply making sure I planned ahead and had fruits and vegetables to eat at home - it sounds silly, but it was so true for me.  There were some days when it was really easy and I finished with six or seven servings - and then there was one day when I found myself eating carrots at 10 p.m. because I realized that I was short for the day. (Not quite the point of the project, I know, but I was on a roll!)  Trying that for ten days was enough to get me in a nice routine, and I've kept this up pretty consistently even after the goal was checked off my list.

#54 Increase charitable giving
Yes, I did this!

Where does that leave me?

Goals complete: 18/101
Goals in progress: 16/101

What's going on in August, then?

The big news around here is that I'm going on a four-day canoe trip with a group of women later this month, including the oft-mentioned friend Sara!  I have never done a trip quite like this before, never been to the Boundary Waters, never been in quite that much wilderness and never portaged a canoe. I am really, really excited (and 5-10 percent nervous).

Most of my 101 goals for August will be built around the canoe trip. The canoe trip matches the spirit of the 101 list wholeheartedly, so this makes a lot of sense to me.  I won't even pin down the resolutions in advance, but I will identify possibilities:

#10 Go camping
#27 Visit a new park in Minnesota
#29 Visit the North Shore
#34 Go without screens for one day (phone, internet, TV)

I desperately hope that I might check one of these items off my list:

#30 See the northern lights (I put in a request with my group's leader for this.)
#31 See a meteor shower

It is going to be a big adventure for Sara and me. We still need to collect lots of gear from kind friends, but I can't believe the trip is less than two weeks away! Yeep!

No comments:

Post a Comment