Friday, July 6, 2012

101 in 1,001: June update

Here we are: Five months down!  I've got 14/101 complete and 16 items in progress.

We start, as usual, with an array of links:

The whole list
Last month's update
Track my progress (roughly) via Google doc

Last month, I planned to continue my ongoing projects as well as #46 (shop at 10 new-to-me local businesses in Minneapolis) and #44 (Eat at 10 local new-to-me restaurants).  I also decided to tackle:

#25 Renew my passport
#15 Pick strawberries
#58 Increase my retirement savings

How did I do? Yikes! I thought back in January that items would be flying off the list left and right in the summertime, and that hasn't been the case. I floundered a little bit this month.

I did continue the ongoing activities like trying new recipes and walking, and I did make progress on a couple of items:

#46 Eat or shop at 10 new-to-me Minneapolis businesses: Two! I ate at Nami (in the Warehouse District) and Anchor Fish & Chips (in Northeast). Thumbs up to both!
#49 Volunteer at three events: I volunteered at Rock the Garden.

I did renew my passport, and it arrived over the weekend. Very exciting!

On another related note, I wanted to share one my favorite story from last month's projects. You should know that your comments on my 101 updates are some of my favorites on the whole blog. I get awesome tips, recommendations, and friends chiming in to help!  Last month, an anonymous commenter weighed in. I know that signing in to comment on Blogger is not totally user-friendly (I appreciate whenever anyone goes through the hoops!) and I think I identify most of my anonymous commenters pretty easily. This one, though, threw me for a loop.

As you can tell, I was very excited about this and somehow was completely certain that it was one specific friend. And then my mom suggested a strawberry-picking outing at the same strawberry farm that the commenter mentioned, and I was just one or two percent hesitant because wanted to make sure I could honor the outing my friend (the mystery commenter) been kind enough to suggest, too. Then my mom was all, "What?! That was ME!" and I refused to believe her for a long time, and then once I finally did, I couldn't stop laughing.

So we set a date to pick berries, and the weather interrupted that plan, and then the season ended because the wet spring weather had kicked it off early. Bottom line: Mom and I have a date at the berry farm for June 2013. Good thing 1,001 days squeezes in two more summers!

My plan for July
I have an exciting trip coming up in August that's really going to chip away at the list, but for this month, I'll continue my ongoing projects and focus on the next five:

#3 Race an all-out mile
#8 Try stand-up paddleboarding
[[Finally achieve] #20 Eat five servings of fruits and vegetables per day for 10 days
[Continue] #47 Volunteer at six races
#54 Increase charitable giving

I think I'll also try the daily photo project again this month, too, just for fun.

Okay, what classic summer activities are you loving this season, Reader?  What are your favorites that you still need to revisit, or new ideas that you want to try?  And who, who is going to be my partner in paddleboarding?

1 comment: