Friday, March 30, 2012

Back home

Besides charming Josh by asking every 10 minutes how long it takes for a burned roof-of-mouth to heal (thanks, yesterday's lunch), I have been catching up with life this week.  Coming home from vacation, for me, usually involves a combination of catch-up duties and finding new things to love about coming back home.  It also always reminds me of things on my To Do list.

Catch-up
Cooking. I must have been inspired by a "hot dish/not a hot dish" conversation I had in Arizona, because I cooked two sort of hot dishy meals this week: my beloved chilaquile pie and a easy fake lasagna recipe that involves pasta, pasta sauce, ground turkey, cottage cheese and mozzarella cheese.  (Don't hate it 'til you've tried it.)

Cleaning. This is sort of happening but is definitely not remotely interesting enough to blog about.

Loving
Podcasts. Specifically, my ESPN Baseball Today podcast went daily either this week or last - it's weekly during the off-season - and I am loving this for two reasons. First, it means that baseball season is zooming closer now, and second, it is one of my favorite podcasts to listen to while I run. Now I have at least half an hour of baseball talk to digest every day!  (You are thrilled, I can tell.)

Kindle books from the library. A friend (hi, Steph!) recently reminded me that Kindle books are available in the library system nowadays.  I tried this when the e-books first arrived, but was a little discouraged by the limited selection. Now I've either become more computer savvy (very possible) or the library has totally expanded its selection and also made it more user-friendly by allowing one to browse only the e-books that are available instead of getting excited about a book and then seeing that it's already checked out by someone else.  I demolished some Kindle library books while I was in Arizona and am thrilled to have this resource going forward.

Yoga Sculpt at CorePower. I finally got to try this class when my boot camp was on hiatus, and I love-love-love it.  And by love, I mean barely survive.  It is definitely the most challenging fitness class I have ever taken: think yoga moves with weights mixed in with lunges and push-ups and squats and all kinds of terrible things - in a heated classroom.  And with dance music!

To Do 
Updating my 101 list. It's almost April!  That means it's time to take a look at my 101 in 1,001 list to see what new activities I shall tackle this month.

Exploring the Twin Cities.  Spring always brings out this urge for me (and everyone else in Minnesota, I think). I have several exhibits I'd like to check out this spring: the sports exhibit at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, the Mill City Museum, and, well, Farm Babies at the Minnesota Zoo. 

Getting out the sewing machine.  I got my patterns last month.  Now it's time to put them to use.  Fabric shopping, here I come!

2 comments:

  1. I saw an ad for farm babies and thought, "holy crap, an ad campaign targeted at ME!"

    we must do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister swears by Sculpt at Core Power . . . I'm thinking I might sign up for a free week there to just see what all the fuss is about! And yay for Kindle library books - I've read some books I probably never would have picked up otherwise just because they were available, and ended up really enjoying them. (Speaking of books, one of our interns and I were talking about "The Book Thief" this weekend - if you haven't read it, you MUST.)

    ReplyDelete