Sunday, March 25, 2012

Grapefruit bonanza!

When I was thinking about spring training in Arizona, I lamented just a tiny bit that it wasn't Florida's Grapefruit League. My love of grapefruit, after all, is well-documented at Miles and Laurel.  But soon my appreciation for the Cactus League replaced those feelings, and I forgot about them.

Yesterday I was in my hosts' backyard and spotted some yellow fruit up high in a tree. "Lemons!" I said, remembering the lemon trees I saw in California.

"No," my host said, "these are grapefruit."

I nearly fell over with excitement.  There were grapefruit trees (and orange trees!) right in their backyard, and the blossoms smell glorious. And this morning I ate the best grapefruit ever, fresh off the tree.







I am going back to Minnesota tonight, but I will not soon forget these grapefruits.

No comments:

Post a Comment