Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Summer is on its way

Humans adapt quickly. This is pretty important for big-picture survival, but I also notice this phenomenon on a smaller scale often, especially as the seasons change. One temperature that would be cause for tank tops in March makes me put on a sweatshirt in September. I even noticed this morning how much I had already absorbed the normalcy of so many leaves on the trees, compared to even just a few weeks ago, when the leaves were stunning and amazing and breaking news on my blog, like, daily.

Is it just me? I start dreaming in January about those things - the marvelous leaves and green grass and glowing charcoal and everything that goes with summer in Minnesota - and then by the time late July rolls around, I'm cowering in my dark basement with nary an urge to ever venture outside again.

No more!

I don't usually use this writing space to hold me accountable for goals - with the exception of 101 in 1,001, which I guess I see as more of a project - but it's undeniable that putting something in writing helps make it stick. There's something immensely special about a lazy summer day, and I'll never deny that, okay? But this summer, I vow to stretch just a little bit more and retreat to my cold basement a little bit less. Consider the following list a miniature 101 in 1,001 list: things I either have never done or don't do nearly enough in Minnesota in the summer - until this summer.

Top 10 Summer Activities Wish List
  1. Visiting the Mill City Farmers Market. I always intend to head over to this market on weekend mornings and never have. From what I've heard, they have really delightful vendors (Chef Shack!). For that matter, I've actually never been to the regular Minneapolis Farmers Market, either. And for that matter, I vow to go to the St. Paul market more frequently, too. For the first time in several summers, I am sans CSA this year and will use the opportunity to visit more markets.
  2. Picking strawberries. I talk a big game about going strawberry-picking every darn summer. I haven't gone in years. I have one farm I already love. Anyone have recommendations for me?
  3. Going to a drive-in movie theater.
  4. Paddleboarding.  This is on the 101 list, but I'll repeat it because again, I wanted to do it last summer and didn't get around to it.
  5. Trying sweet corn ice cream.  This was all the rage at the State Fair last year and I expect it to find its way into more ice cream parlours this year. Heck! I'll also set a goal to eat more sweet corn in general.
  6. Having a picnic.  (This is a classic talk-it-up-but-never-do activity at M&L.)
  7. Going to a rooftop movie at Solera. This always seems like a lovely idea in the spring, especially because Solera pairs special beverages to match the movie being shown that night (themes are a quick way to my heart). Then it's summer and it takes sooo long to get dark enough for an outdoor movie (do you hear a sad violin playing?) and I never go.
  8. Buying a grill and using it often.
  9. Going on a waterslide. I do this once in awhile - maybe every other summer - and I will confess here that they usually go too fast for my liking and I am so clumsy that I usually plop into the water awkwardly and end up with a head full of chlorine. (Charming, yeah?)  But once I get over these obstacles, they are really fun. I will definitely visit a waterslide this summer.
  10. Making popsicles. I got on a popsicle kick a few summers ago and immediately fell off it when one recipe was the slightest bit lackluster. I love popsicles, so I will try again with making my own instead of eating 6,000 Freezies this summer.
There!  It's carved in stone out there in the universe internet. It's kind of exciting just reading that list, even though it's 55 degrees and raining as I type.

Your turn, please! What about you?  Tell me what activities I missed and what items you'd put on your list.

2 comments:

  1. Would love to join you for numbers 2, 4, 7, and 9!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making popsicles! - fence

    ReplyDelete