Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Errands

I love running errands - but only when I'm literally running errands.

It's not that you'll find me popping into Super Target for groceries in the middle of a set of intervals, or that I'm so frenetic about multitasking that I pick up drycleaning midrun.  But sometimes, when conditions are right, it is fun and somehow downright sneaky to get stuff done on a run.  It's a well-established fact that I generally find walking, running, or biking so much more pleasant than driving, so that may contribute to this little hobby within a hobby.  But I don't really do it enough, either.  "Running an errand car-free" totally should have gone onto the 101 in 1,001 list.  Darn.  (I love that I wrote that so sadly, like there's clearly no way I could work on something if it didn't make it onto The List.)

Anyway.  After hours and hours of sloth yesterday, I realized that I needed stamps for some cards and green beans for the minestrone that was in the crockpot.  I also needed a very gentle recovery run, because my arms and back were - shall we say - feeling the effects from painting the day before. So I shuffled outside and embarked on a route around the city that took me by my ATM (where I picked up my stamps), a mailbox (where I dropped off my cards) and a grocery store (where I got the green beans).  Of course, the grocery store was about the farthest point out on my route, so I had to lug the green beans kind of a long way.  

By the way: this is a super effective tactic for truly buying only the item for which you went to the store and nothing else!

I ended up having a nicer run than I expected, given my tired self and the chilly weather.  When I was almost home, I looked down at my green beans and actually realized how silly the whole thing looked. Forgive me for my monster hands.


It makes tedious errands into a little scavenger hunt or a Choose Your Own Adventure, no?

1 comment: