Thursday, April 5, 2012

101 update: March recap

You didn't think I bailed on 101 in 1,001, did you?

It's April, and it's time for the fourth chapter!

An array of links, to refresh your memory:

Track my progress via Google doc

First, what pertinent updates exist about the projects I planned to continue?

#7 Go to 25 yoga classes (23/25) Yes. I'm cranking on this one - as I mentioned last month, I didn't know I would join a yoga studio when I wrote this goal! I might be farther - I've been a little lax about logging them because I go so frequently. I'd better get this one this month!

#22 Take at least one walk per week for one year.  Continuing!

#47 Volunteer at six races. Kind of. Like last month, the volunteering was at a Twin Cities in Motion event: the 100% Irish for a Day TC 5K and TC 10 Mile, and I'm not counting those in my totals.

#62 Send one card per week for three months.  Started this one over, as mentioned. Two weeks in!

#66 Make a list of important birthdays and send mail accordingly.  Yes.
#67 Go to six cultural events with a friend.  No, but it's ongoing!

#82 Cook one new recipe per month. Yahoo!  On March 13, I cooked mini ham and cheese quinoa cups and quinoa mac and cheese. I give a thumbs-up to both of those recipes.

#90 Try six new foods. Hmm. Unless a prickly pear margarita in Arizona counts (which I do not accept), I don't think I tried any new foods this month. Let's get going on this one.

Second, what projects did I take on in March?  Were they successful?

#76 Take one photo per day for a month
Well, you might have read about it earlier.  I was about 28/31.  I'm going to give this one another go-round in April. I might randomly sprinkle this one in throughout more of my upcoming months, too. I liked it!

#23 Visit the dentist at least four times
This one makes me laugh every time I read it now because when I was in Arizona, I had been in the car with Nat and her husband and in-laws for about six seconds before the topic of dentist visits came up and I blurted out that I was overdue for one.  Classy!  I made my appointment as soon as I got home, so this ongoing project is underway.

#39 Go to three new-to-me museums
Ooh, yes, this one is launched, too, thanks to my visit to the Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum in Tucson. Talk about starting something off with a bang!  I loved that one. Locally, I have my eye on the Mill City Museum in Minneapolis - but there are lots to choose from, obviously!  

#49 Volunteer at at least three events
Yes! I started this one off by volunteering at one event.

#75 Print out photos and make a 2011 album
You probably know about this one, too!  I scrapped to my heart's content one weekend in March with my mom, who taught me the tricks of the scrapbooking trade. I ended up with a book of 2011 which is complete with the one exception of Christmas. I just ordered prints of those photos last week and will be wrapping up those pages this week.


And #63 See my out-of-state friends at least once a year
That's underway with this Arizona trip!  But I want to emphasize the "at least" part of that goal. Okay, pals? (Now is the time for my endearing anonymous commenter to chime in.)

Third, did March hold any surprises?
How kind of you to ask!  Yes, it did!

#28 Visit two new states
March 2012 marked my first foray into Arizona!
#41 Learn how to do a fishtail braid
This one is way easier than I thought and fun to boot. I was workin' the fishtail for about half of my Arizona trip after puttering through the process of learning how to do it on the plane!

I was also very surprised to conclude winter without one winter-related item checked off. No snowshoeing, no snowmen...no snow.  I'll just have to wait until next year.

Fourth, what will I be working on in April?

This month is busyroni (I definitely just made this word up and it rhymes with "macaroni"). I looked at a couple of community ed classes that would help me make progress on my list, but I think those might be too much to fit in right now.

Also: every section of my list is at least partially underway with the exception of Moola (money management) and Play.  The latter note is especially weird, but that category includes either summer activities or snow-required activities, neither of which I've been able to do since I made the list in January!

I'll try these:

#20 Eat five fruits and vegetables every day for 10 days
#25 Renew my passport
#43 Give blood at least once per year (0/3)
#56 Document spending for a month
#76 Take one photo per day for a month
#96 [Start learning] three poems by heart (0/3)

Now it's your turn to share!  
Feedback, tips, poems, books, cultural activities, recipes? Passport destinations? If you are doing your own 101-type list, what successes are you having, and what roadblocks do you see?  You know what to do: comment away!

2 comments:

  1. I have to give blood soon! Let's go together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I was thinking of you but was a little shy about giving a shout-out like "Kate, let's give blog!" on the blog. But, um, now I did. So let's go!

      Delete