Friday, April 6, 2012

Tourism at home

Earlier this week, I was lucky to be able to go for a run with a friend from New York who I met through work. It was her first time in Minnesota, and although we only had time to fit in about five miles at a super-early hour, it got the wheels in my head turning about the best routes for a visitor to the Twin Cities.

What would a visitor like to see that would help give him or her 1) the lay of the land and 2) a sense of what the energy of this place is like?

Obviously, I have loads of love for the Twin Cities, and I love showing people around, so I had some ideas. Although we didn't have time to hit spots like the Chain of Lakes or St. Paul because my friend's hotel was in downtown Minneapolis, that location did create a great starting point for covering some of my favorite Twin Cities landmarks.

First, I'd like the route to convey the area's personality. To me, Minneapolis is urban but accessible and manageable. Minneapolis and St. Paul are bike- and run-friendly, with lots of trails. There's a vibrant arts scene. I also love to run through college campuses wherever I travel, and there are loads of those to choose from in the Twin Cities.

Where does that point a runner in Minneapolis?  West River Parkway!  That stretch of paths passes the U of M and the Guthrie Theater, and it definitely showcases the paved paths for cyclists and runners.

My friend Molly and I have also had conversations about what Twin Cities locations we'd pick to photograph for that Runner's World feature showing a runner in a pretty place. If I remember correctly, we decided on the trails at Theodore Wirth Park (for a trail setting) and the Stone Arch Bridge in Minneapolis for the urban setting. I love, love the view of the skyline from the Stone Arch Bridge.


And near the end of the bridge, a different view.  I think I love the orangyness, especially with the morning sunlight on it.


And obviously any view of a city is made better with a sunrise, right?  No?  Just me?


The other piece I like to incorporate whenever I run in another city, if possible, is some glimpse into its history. Did you know that in the late 1800s and early 1900s, Minneapolis was known as the Flour Milling Capital of the World?  No parts of the city that I know of show that history better than the area next to the Stone Arch Bridge: Mill Ruins Park.


Given more time and miles, where else would I take a newcomer?  It's kind of fun to think about, especially after seeing the city through a visitor's eyes.

Ideas: 
  • Running by some of the sports venues: Target Field and TCF Bank Stadium.
  • Going from downtown to Uptown on Hennepin Avenue and then over to Lake Calhoun (or Isles or Harriet)
  • Checking out some of the paths that make this area so magnificent for bike commuters: the Cedar Lake Regional Trail, the Midtown Greenway, etc.
  • Including St. Paul is a must: Summit Avenue would probably be my top pick, with zigzags over to Grand Avenue along the way.
Reader, I am so curious: what would you add to the list? And what kinds of sights do you like to see when you are exploring a new place?

2 comments:

  1. I will be there for reunion weekend and would love to catch up on a run with you on that Friday morning if you can! It can even be early!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well of course there is nothing like Elm Creek Park trails with a certain "slow" someone!!

    ReplyDelete