Thursday, July 5, 2012

Family and flag cake

Good morning!  Today is the last day of the monstrous heat wave. The high is supposed to approach 100 again today, but by Saturday it's only supposed to be 81 - just in time for my trail race with Molly!

I had another post in mind for today but had so much fun yesterday that I had to recap that first.

We spent the day at my parents' home, where the heat index outside was 115. Inside, the AC was working beautifully. My core temperature breathed a sigh of relief.

So did this guy, who proceeded to make himself at home immediately.


We all went to a neighborhood party later in the afternoon. My mom was in charge of providing the flag cake, an enduring family tradition that goes way back.

Okay, fine.  One example, circa 2001:


I've really been out of the flag cake loop in recent years, so I was thrilled to jump back in.

We begin with a blank canvas.


Mom provided guidance as we got to work (with sangria by our side). Dad documented the effort.


I showed Josh the finer points of the process while Wish looking on, wondering when the meat toppings were going to come out:


And VOILA!


On an unrelated note, later Wish just decided to put on a hat grudgingly allowed me to spruce up his Independence Day spirit.


So festive!  Hope your Fourth was fun, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment