Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Reading wishlist

Aren't we overdue for a post about books around here?

You might remember that I chirped last week that I was hitting a fab stride via my reserved titles in the local public library system. In short, I've gotten better about filing my request for a good book (or a popular new release) as soon as I hear about it.

This is a refreshing contrast to my usual style. It is a terrible feeling to be presented with a library catalog and have every intriguing title you heard about in the past month be hidden just on the tip of your tongue. Does that ever happen to you? Now it's just marvelous to get an email that says a great book is waiting at the library with your name (well, barcode) on it. And if it's a Kindle version, all the better: no risk of late fines. It's almost as fun as getting Scholastic book orders in elementary school. (No? Just me?)

Just after I wrote about my summer reading, I concluded that my list is careening mildly out of control ("mildly" only because I don't think it's possible for a library list to careen wildly or severely). But that's still not a bad thing to me. Actually, it only gives me more motivation to grab little blocks of time with whatever title I'm currently reading. (If you've read M&L anytime lately, you probably know it's Gold by Chris Cleave.) I still enjoy the book, but I know there's a wealth of other exciting books waiting for me.

Here is a secret peek into my current hold list:

Running the Rift by Naomi Benaron
Wild by Cheryl Strayed
The Newlyweds by Nell Freudenberger
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

My favorite hold is Gone Girl. Picture a line that's 167 people long, each with three weeks to leisurely read their copy, and I'm at the end of it. Will the snow be flying by the time I get my hands on that book?

And this evening - the whole reason for this post - I was perusing Underground New York Public Library (great site!) and saw this picture, featuring a woman reading Just My Type: A Book About Fonts. I hightailed it straight to the online database and got in line for my copy. Add another to the list!

So tell me, Reader: do you have a reading wishlist? What are you reading right now? Do you have anything you are really looking forward to reading?

(My reading list, I should clarify, is never too long for me to field recommendations.)

4 comments:

  1. Don't feel bad. My to-read list is 236 books long and counting. Still recommending Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon. (I do keep a list of reccomended books, if you're interested!) Also, don't feel bad in another way, because I'm number 436 for a book that only has 39 copies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the recommended book list idea! I'm going to put Outlander on it, in fact. Is yours really 236 books?! I would love to see it!

      Delete
  2. Getting book orders was seriously the best. I always get made fun of when I say that, glad to find someone who agrees!

    My reading list is also pretty long, right now I'm number 100-something for "11/22/63" by Stephen King (and I've been holding for that one since February!), number 121 of 190 for "Gone Girl", and 145 of 167 for "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed.

    Currently reading "Cutting for Stone" which I totally love . . . it finally came for me from the library the same month my book club picked it to read! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I nabbed "Cutting for Stone" for my Kindle and then didn't get to it in time before the loan expired. I'm going to add that one to my list again, too - thanks!

      Also, I googled book orders and fortunately they are still produced!!

      Delete