Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Fourth of July

Major, super kudos to all of the runners who finished the Red, White and Boom race in Minneapolis this morning in tough conditions. Earlier in the week, race organizers announced that the run would be a five-miler instead of the originally scheduled half-marathon because of the dangerously high heat and humidity. As soon as I stepped outside this morning before sunrise and was greeted with 84 degrees, I knew that the five miles would've been quite tough enough for me.

I wasn't running, though. I was volunteering with my Twin Cities in Motion committee! I love supporting events like this because I see so many runners out there together with friends, family and total strangers. Today, more than 2,000 people started their holiday with this race (and fortunately were handed popsicles moments after crossing the finish line). The Twin Cities has a super running community, and I'm lucky to be part of it.

I did note that my timing for the morning got a little mixed up because of the early start. For example:

Literally 7:56 a.m.
"YUM!!!!!!"
If a hot dog sounds like a fabulous idea before the bell tolls eight, who knows where the day will go from there?!

Wishing you a wonderful Fourth that includes more hot dogs, watermelon, fireworks (unless your dog hates fireworks), flag cakes, grilling, air conditioning, ice cream, friends, family, swimming, or enjoying mid-summer however you see fit!

1 comment:

  1. Nice work! I miss you! And still want to meet Wish!

    ReplyDelete